Tuesday, February 23, 2021

stream of consciousness

 This morning walking to my desk I saw a teacher decked out in goggles, gloves and a mask.  He always is.  Some people are still so very afraid of the virus.  I don't know his personal circumstances so maybe his reaction is warranted, or maybe mine is too laissez faire, but for sure this thing has been so divisive. In ward council this last week we talked about some of the families who are not attending in person, ostensibly because of covid.  Some of them have kind of legit reasons, like they are very very old.  Some of them go out to disney, work as high fitness instructors and/or send their kids to school but are worried about church (where we sit 6 feet part and wear masks).

It's almost Tanner's birthday.  I still can't even believe he is gone.  It's been the saddest thing.

Last night we got to talk to Ethan.  He calls late on monday nights.  I think this area is different than his last.  I don't want to put words in his mouth and it seems like there are things he is really enjoying about it.  I know he likes his companions.  They have been doing a lot of snow shoveling.  We serve where the need is.  I am still just really praying and hoping that Spain opens soon.  And I am so proud of him for going even in trying circumstances.  Ty and Connor and Will all have their papers in and their families are anxiously waiting to hear where they are going, and I am waiting too! I can't wait for Rob and I to serve.  I hope we can go on at least 2 missions.  

WandaVision.  What is up with that show, it's weird and fun. We've been watching and everyone talks about it. Other shows on my schedule: Call the Midwife, a new (to me) season is available on Netflix. For All Mankind (2nd season is on now). NCIS, I am weary but still faithful.  I'd like to see it end. Seal Team. I 💖 Seely Boothe.  He's old but still handsome, he's kind of a wreck but my guess it that's par for the course for warriors sadly. Young Sheldon.  So so funny, especially if you live with Rob and Grace!

Perseverance.  It landed!! 🌘 Actually it passed right by the moon and landed on Mars but what a cute little emoji that one is.

Grace is going to a Scarlet Pimpernel party.  She needs a costume, so does Lincoln. I think I am more excited than she is although she is happy to go.  I loved that book.  This week I am reading Defending Jacob for book club.  It's a good story, too many f-bombs though.  If it was a book I picked I would have put it down for that already.


Two weeks until Jenna and the girls come! Can't wait! 

Conference is coming up! Also can't wait.

We have a mandarin branch in our stake.  Our ward just attached to them so we will have their youth.  They have three girls and we are excited to have them join us.  Hopefully we will have two of them coming.  There was a big blow up between one of the girls and one of our girls (two years ago) that still hasn't blown over (tragic) so she will not be joining us, she'll continue to go to Avalon Ward.  (So sad).  Of the other two one is active and excited to come, the other we have reached out to but haven't heard anything. She may not speak english, although we have tried to go thru the Mandarin speaking elders.  We'll see.

Rob got a new truck and is happy about that.  

I am not the secretary any more.  (insert laughing out loud) I am the queen of short careers.  So Monday I started my new position and Jordan (our old  secretary) started her new job at Apopka Elementary.  She was super excited because it's more money, she's a single mom and her kids go to school there, and it's right by her house instead of 40 minutes away.  When she got there they told her that the school lost it's title 1 funding and her job was funded thru title one money.  This was emergency news for her, as you can imagine.  I took the emergency call and passed it on to Mr Guthrie immediately I said I would step down to my old spot and she could have her spot back. She cried and cried. This is not as altruistic as it sounds, honestly I was having such mixed feelings about it.  I did want the job and was excited to learn it, I missed my old spot and friends a lot, and I was SUPER concerned about the schedule. I applaud working moms, I think they can be awesome and amazing moms.  No shade at all. But for me I have felt so blessed to be home with the kids, and I still have a kid at home.  I chose to teach so I could have the girls schedule when I did have to work, and I felt super blessed that I was able to do that.  I have really worked odd sub jobs or small school things pretty much since Grace was about 4 but in my mind I was always able to feel like a stay at home mom because I was with them, and I had the same breaks as them. More money is always something we want...but right now more time is my priority. And I am super blessed that Rob's job is a good one and he is paid well.  We should be better money managers though.

Grace has been going a word of the day ACT/SAT prep.  Earlier this week the word was snollygoster.  A shrewd unprincipled person.  Fun word to know.  Today was polyglot. Someone who speaks more than one language.

I love the films the church puts out.  I've been watching some of the restoration of the gospel ones.  I was really touched by a scene that  was about Oliver and Joseph and the early days of translating. As you remember Oliver came after Martin Harris had already lost the translated pages, and after Joseph had suffered so terribly with guilt and sadness over that event.  Time had passed and Joseph had repented and was ready to translate again, in answer to Joseph's prayers Oliver was dispatched and came to work with Joseph. They began to translate and to learn many things, and to become friends. (the friendships we build while serving the Lord are the sweetest most tender ones) Anyway, when they were reading about baptism they decided to pray to God and ask about baptism.  That's when John the Baptist came to Oliver and Joseph and gave them the Aaronic Priesthood and the authority to baptize.  I was watching the scene where Joseph baptized Oliver, and then Oliver baptized Joseph and I thought of the great joy they must have felt that moment.  How relieved they were to have their own sins forgiven, but also how ecstatic they were to be called to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ. I thought about Joseph and how awful, terrible he felt about losing the manuscript and now to be completely clean and forgiven and to KNOW it. I am so grateful for Joseph's sacrifice giving his whole life, and then giving his life to restore the gospel. I am SO GRATEFUL for Jesus Christ for giving His whole life and then giving His life to save us all.  I hope I can give my life, and my heart, and all that I have and am to serve him.


No comments:

Post a Comment