Thursday, April 29, 2021

Forgetting

 I want to write down what has happened so we can remember it, as we go. But sadly I am busy busy and don’t remember but here’s some of it.



“I am learning a lot of cool things about how the body works and how amazing medicine is. Sierra goes to the hyperbaric chamber (the dive chamber for those in the know 😉) twice a day. It’s really cool and helps with soft tissue and bone healing. Inside it’s 100% oxygen and the pressure you would find 20-30 ft under water. 
Also did you know they use shark collagen to help in tissue regeneration? Some of the skin and tissue around her wound is necrotic so she will have plastic surgery in a couple of days. They will use the shark collagen then. 

Pretty amazing!

Sierra is doing well, considering. Her bones are set and healing. Her lungs and organs are doing well. She is moving around and doing PT. 

She talks and makes sense sometimes. She is confused and scared and uncooperative other times. All of this is normal and part of the expected recovery process with TBIs. 

It’s hard, super hard, but we have great hope that she will continue to recover and that she will be well. I will tell her about the great outpouring of love and support she has, and I will tell her of the miracles she experienced while she was getting better.”
From my FB

“She does not do well at night. She’s been cussing & swearing. She punched (twice)the sitter and tried to bite her. She’s kicked us and yelled. Finally we had to restrain her and she settled right down. By that time she had been given 5-6 different meds but each just made the situation worse.”
From a text to my sibs

Every day we have PT, OT, Speech, trips to the dive chamber, eating, baths, phone calls to answer, idk what else. 

The last two nights have been awful. Watching her get restrained was heartbreaking. Tonight it seems like our new game plan is going well and so far she’s sleeping peacefully.  
Update: first thank you all so much for the kind words, the prayers and positive thoughts. We have been  blessed by so so many people reaching out, bringing food, tending babies, driving kids, sending positive messages, offers of help and love and support. It has been such a tender time and I, and my whole family, are so so grateful.

“I know everyone wants an update on Sierra. She continues to rest and to heal. We have had some really bad nights but the days are better. She follows commands, recognizes people and expresses her emotions. These are all wonderful signs. I was told by one doctor to temper my enthusiasm however I believe in miracles, I believe in the power of prayer, I know Sierra was protected because no one thinks she should have lived. This girl is a fighter and I am so grateful for her. 

Tomorrow she has another surgery, more therapies and she’ll be one day closer to getting out of here!”
Copied from FB

People have been so kind and so generous. Lana came by and brought me this quilt she made that I love! Andrea got us minky blankets! People have been bribing food every night for the family. They’ve started different fundraisers and a go fund me and they’ve been so amazingly kind!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us informed. We're all rooting for Sierra! We know she'll be better!! She's a fighting warrior!

    ReplyDelete