Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Time

Last week I came up with a plan. It was fool proof, which means it didn’t work at all! My plan was to come home from work and take a siesta. Then get up make dinner and do whatever until Ethan’s phone call.  For years when I had littles my sleep was broken up by nursing, diaper changes, nightmares, drinks of water, and then later from kids with homework or coming home late from hanging out with friends. I have always been proud that in the middle of all the interruptions I could wake up and go back to sleep quickly. 

I don’t normally nap during the week (but we do love our Sunday naps!) but sometimes I do and it’s always easy to fall asleep. Anyway. I got home and the house was quiet and I went to bed...and laid there. Eventually I got up and did chores and worked on my blanket and made dinner (jalapeño popper chicken casserole that Rob and Grace both liked). 

Then I thought well I’ll just go to bed early and wake up for the call. Nope couldn’t sleep then either, and couldn’t sleep after the call. I don’t think it was directly related to the call although I was excited for it. I have recently had more trouble sleeping than previously. Noise and light both bother me more. I wake up hot and sweaty (50+ female -par for the course). It’s annoying.  5:30am still came on schedule though and now I’m tired. 

That said I love our calls. It’s hard to hear and a little chaotic but I love seeing all their faces and hearing whatever they have to say. Marshall made a guest appearance, even though it was past his bedtime, and he kept us laughing with funny filters and stories about dragons. Oh how I wish I lived down the street and saw them all the time. I’d love to by the meddling mother in law, ready babysitter, and paparazzi Mimi!

 Saw this picture and it spoke to me. Our world is a mess. Our friend’s son, a returned missionary and a handsome, smart young man took his life last week. The pandemic continues to rage its ugly head, unrest is everywhere, weird weather is everywhere, another dear friend came out (and that has a whole set of issues), people have struggles that are hard and persistent and heartbreaking. It’s hard to find peace. It’s easy to fail, to be less than who we should be. How grateful I am that my Jesus still comes to us and saves us. He doesn’t flinch from the mess or the less. 


"Drawing near to the Lord brings comfort and encouragement, hope, and healing. 
So, we pray in His name about our worries and our weaknesses, 
our longings and our loved ones, our callings and our questions."

Then we listen.

If we will stay on our knees for a while after we finish our prayer, 
thoughts, feelings, and direction will come into our mind. 
Recording those impressions will help us remember what
 actions the Lord would have us take."

Russell Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment