Monday, July 25, 2022

Random

 

Yesterday when  I went to the temple.  It was so very nice.  I did have a surprisingly weird moment.  I was sitting in the endowment and they said something that made me go “hmnm” and fleetingly thought of”what if it’s not true?” Is there another alternative? The thought was brief but after as I was sitting in the celestial room taking a quiet moment to pray and to contemplate I remembered and asked about it in prayer.  It was not like I doubted exactly.  I don't doubt but I am also  well aware that anyone can fall, no matter how firm a testimony they have, or what kinds of experiences they have had.  You are always susceptible and must always be building and working to stay strong and faithful. So I prayed about it and felt in that moment that it was just a passing thought and not my true feelings and that I did know that this was the true church, that I was in the house of the Lord, that Jesus is my Savior and this is His covenant path back to Our Father in Heaven. Over. 

Today I went to church alone.  Grace was feeling sick and stayed home.  Rob is in MD.  As I sat in sacrament meeting I did not feel lonely but what I did feel was a strong witness of the spirit during each talk.  They were powerful and uplifting.  Then when I went to YW our lesson was also very tender, the Spirit was strong and there were many tears in our eyes as Sister Elliot taught about the temple.  Ashley Tree shared an experience she had when she was 8 years old and the Kansas City MO temple was dedicated.  She was there with her parents and had a sacred witness of the prophet and the apostles that were there.  She said she can remember so vividly seeing them, she couldn’t really remember their faces but she could see a halo of glory around them that just glowed and she knew they were the Lord’s servants.  She was very emotional and I think everyone could feel how important that experience was to her.  Alicia (Elliot) shared a story as well.  Jared, her husband, served his mission in Venezuela.  He served in Caracas and while he was there had the opportunity to teach a man named Luis and his wife named Jenni. They were baptized and became so faithful.  Jared has kept in touch with Luis all these years.  They are very poor.  He served as the branch president for many years.  So one day Jared’s father in law came to him (his FIL was a pilot) and said I’ve been thinking about your friend Luis.  I can get them flights to the US. If they can get passports their family can go to the temple.  So Jared called Luis and talked to him about it.  As he did Luis just broke down in tears.  He said he had just had a sister in his office and felt prompted to ask her if she had a temple recommend.  She said no, and that even if she did she would never be able to go.  He then felt inspired to pull his recommend out of his wallet and share with the sister that he had carried this for years, knowing he may never actually be able to go to the temple, and that it was his greatest wish and desire to take his family to be sealed for time and eternity.  He testified to her of the importance of temples and she left committed to work on getting hers.  Then he put his head down on his desk and cried because his desire was so great and it seemed so impossible.  That’s when Jared called.  What an answer to this faithful man’s prayer.  A few months later they were able to come to SLC.  Jared and Alicia picked them up and were hosting them for their trip.  Alicia said after their long trip with three little kids she thought they would be tired and hungry and ready to rest and relax.  She asked if they’d like to go get dinner before they went home and the family said, please they’d like to drive by the temple.  They did and on that drive and the following day when they went to the temple for the first time Alicia said she learned many lessons about loving the temple, about what a privilege it is to go there, and how sacred a blessing it is to be sealed as a family.  The lesson went really well and all the girls felt the Spirit I am sure.  I did, and was so grateful that the very next day after I talked to the Lord about my moment of concern and then forgot about it He blessed me with not one but several witnesses of the truthfulness of the Gospel, of His presence in my life, and of His love for His children.  God does not care if we doubt, if we worry about things, if we are uncertain, He only cares that we seek Him, that we try, that we trust, that we have faith, that we grow and reach for Him.  I love that.  I love that He meets us where we are, lifts us where we are, accepts us where we are, helps us grow at our own pace. He is a good God.

 

I listened to a really amazing podcast this last week.  It was by Christopher Mattson called Six Ways to be a Better Boat Builder.  It was a BYU devotional.   It was engaging and really great advice on things to do to follow the Savior.  The analogies were drawn from Nephi and his boat building and the Brother of Jared and his boat building and how we each need to build our boats to navigate life’s waters. 

The three sacrament  talks were so good. The elders quorum presidency spoke (our turn is next week).

Andrew Hill spoke about the temple. He told about the Philadelphia Temple being built and the roll Vai Sikahema played in that process, he shared the story of when Vai’s family first went to the temple in New Zealand and the great personal sacrifices they went thru. 

Chris Castellanos spoke next. I don’t know him, he’s new in the ward but he and his family seem amazing. He spoke so enthusiastically about his love of the gospel and his testimony of living prophets and apostles. His energy was contagious and his joy was palpable. 

Lastly Jared Elliot spoke. He talked about ministering. He shared a sweet story about his son Jeremy. When Jeremy was a priest a 72 year old man named Lynn got called as the priest quorum advisor. Lynn was awesome and built great relationships with the YM. He because Jeremy’s good friend. They were ministering companions, they went to the temple together, sometimes when Jeremy had a really tough day he’d call Lynn who would come get him and they’d go get burgers and talk. The two men, one old and one young became unlikely best friends. 

While Jeremy was on his mission Jared got a call one night to come to the hospital. Lynn was dying and Jared was his ministering brother. When he arrived at the hospital the doctor said that Lynn had hours to live. Jared steeled himself and went in the room where he knew he would be asked to give a priesthood blessing. As he laid his hands on Lynn’s head a loud and unmistakable prompting from the Holy Ghost told Jared to bless Lynn that he would recover. With some trepidation Jared pronounced the blessing that God had for Lynn. For the next 17 days Jared went to the hospital every day and visited Lynn, who was miraculously recovering. He recovered and came home and lives several more happy and productive years and when he passes away his best friend, and his best friends dad were able to go to his funeral together, grateful for the ministering he had done for them, and the ministering they had been able to do for him. That is the Christ like love we all need to learn to show and feel. 

It was a powerful meeting. 


Todays Pday letter:



“Having a native comp has been chulo. This is prolly the first time where Spanish is the main language i operate in. While I am quite pleased with my ability to have a real relationship with someone in just Spanish, my time with elder Jara has shown me the reality of how bad my spanish is. It's crazy. People talk to us and he just understands, like everything. And when he wants to explain something complicated, he just does it. Muy impresionante. I'm learning quick though too.


This week we were talking to people in a park and this drunk guy called us over. He was just telling us that God loves us and loves him and loves all of us, which was a great message to be fair. He was a little confused but we talked with him and when I said I had lived in LA before he took the green Dodgers hat right off his head and gave it to me. I'm a Dodgers fan for sentimental reasons #chowdercrew. What a nice drunk colombiano man. Meeting random people is just the most fun mixed bag imaginable.

We tried organizing a barbacoa to help our ward meet our amigos. We have a dope family the Minguito's who was gonna cook the meat and let us use their backyard. So we go about inviting all our amigos and all the ward to a party more or less. We wanted to have enough food so we went to Costco cause Spain has one and dropped like 40 euros on meat. Day finally comes around and all the members flake on us. God knew it was gonna happen so all our amigos flaked too. So us the minguitos and a whole lot of meat enjoyed the night. Silver lining is the one person who came is a less active lady nobody knew who went to church yesterday and has friends now. Worth it.

I had an awesome experience this week. In sacrament I was praying just asking God about his love for me. The cool answer I got was "look for my love in the most christlike people around you" how have I not thought of that before?!? So with that hopeful thought I went into my studies and read a talk called the virtue of kindness. It was also really uplifting and left me wanting to be kind always. I want to always build others up now. I never wanna say something or do anything that tears somebody else down. I'm trying to be that christlike source of kindness others can look towards to feel God's love. It really has given me a new angle on what charity is and the question what would Jesus do. If I'm hoping to reflect God's love to everyone I interact with I'm finna watch myself a lot closer.“

No comments:

Post a Comment