Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Guess what the first day of summer is like here. 65 degrees and  raining.
I remember summers as hot here so this isn’t typical. We have not had a hot sunny day yet. 

Moving back has been challenging. I miss Florida and the fun times I had with friends there. I also miss my MD friends because they are so far away from our little house in the woods. Having two wards of friends is nice. I think it’s a combination of a lot of things. Empty nest is like postpartum. It’s just so different than what your whole focus was but instead of 9 months growing a baby it’s been 35 years of taking care of those babies. 
Rob and I have never lived together alone. I think we actually get along better now. Which is good, and sad.

It’s funny because I talk with Grace as she’s dealing with her breakup, planning on moving out, and trying to figure out what to do with her life. Or I talk with Hannah about juggling life with two babies & being poor students. And I encourage them and let them know that things will get better & easier and that this is a normal part of life. Which it is and it will. Not that it makes the moment easier but it offers hope, hopefully. At the same time I have friends who have grown children and they tell me it’s sad at first and you feel lost and lonely and then 6 months down the road you are like “Whoo hoo!”  That doesn’t feel like it’s the truth but these are wonderful women, who love their children and are great moms. So… I guess it is. In any case here we are and I know I need to find joy in this new stage. And I am so proud of my kids who are grown and independent and doing so well in their lives, who are facing their own hard times with courage & faith. 

Also thankfully we live in a time of facetime, long distance phone calls that don’t cost a million dollars, and airplanes that miraculously move people across the country in just a few hours. 


 This face! So sweet:)

FYI: even when I get to “Whoo hooo” I’m still going to think the worst idea in the world is to have cute little grandchildren growing up far away from their Mimi. 

Also, I don’t want to go back in time. I just want to be with the kids and grands and family now at this stage, so I just do the best I can to make the happen as much as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment