Tuesday, June 27, 2023

poems

I have recently added a new element to my scripture study. I like to look up a hymn and instead of singing it I read it like a poem.  The words hit different.

The hymn book always has scripture verses that go along with the hymn so then I click on them and read them too. It's been a very fun addition, like dessert after dinner.


 Savior, Redeemer of my soul,

Whose mighty hand hath made me whole,
Whose wondrous pow’r hath raised me up
And filled with sweet my bitter cup!
What tongue my gratitude can tell,
O gracious God of Israel.

Never can I repay thee, Lord,
But I can love thee. Thy pure word,
Hath it not been my one delight,
My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim it still,
And all my life reflect thy will.

O’errule mine acts to serve thine ends.
Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul till I shall be
In perfect harmony with thee.
Make me more worthy of thy love,
And fit me for the life above.

Text: Orson F. Whitney, 1855–1931

2 Nephi 1:15

But behold, the Lord hath aredeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his bglory, and I am encircled about eternally in the carms of his dlove.

Doctrine and Covenants 95:1

Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you whom I love, and whom I alove I also chasten that their sins may be bforgiven, for with the cchastisement I prepare a way for their ddeliverance in all things out of etemptation, and I have loved you

No comments:

Post a Comment