Friday, August 13, 2021

Made it

9:30 pm on Friday night feels like midnight after a week of not sleeping! Teaching is just as exhausting as I remembered. Only now it’s harder because 

A) I’m old

B) 6th grade is harder to grade and plan for than 1st and

C) so many accommodations, testing requirements and so much tech to learn. 

I’m going to be working all weekend to get ready for next week. Hopefully I’ll get better at it. 

It’s challenging and I’m trying to figure out how to reach everyone. I have kids who are homeless, and a couple who speak 0 English. Some with autism and learning disabilities. Some who hate school and some who don’t. Some who are bright and kind and eager and some who pretend to sleep or stare at the ceiling to avoid doing something hard. There are a few with alternative pronouns and one boy who said his pronoun of choice was “Russian attack helicopter” (he’s a clown and not too excited to be there…but he also tucks in all the chairs and says “see you tomorrow Ms Utzinger” when he walks out of class. It’s only been one week and I’m just starting to see who they are, and to see how ill equipped I am to teach them. 

πŸ™πŸΌ

One of Ethan’s companions posted on Facebook. It was fun to see a middle of the week peek at my boy. He’s in a hard place and doing hard work. 

In my scripture reading this morning I was in Helaman reading about Nephi and Lehi preaching repentance to the people, and the indescribable joy that was theirs  when they came unto Christ. It made me so glad for Elder Utzinger, and so happy that he is willing to walk in the fire for what he believes. As I read I was pondering how crazy it was that the people so quickly forgot how blessed they were, and from where those blessings came and returned to pride. Our own day is so heartbreaking with the struggles and sins we each have. Sad stories are not hard to find, and sadly neither are ones of sin and darkness. It’s easy to become discouraged and important to remain hopeful and faithful. 

 

These two! I can’t even with the cuteness! Their chickens laid the first egg yesterday! I was delighted to get a phone call from them to share the happy news! (I also got to witness the dropping and breaking of said egg on the way to the kitchen)

It’s not a secret anymore so I can say Ruby and Cora are going to be big sisters!!!!!!!πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

For YW on Wednesday we had a back to school feast. I really wanted to have a special night for the girls to feel celebrated and to share with them how they are here now for a divine purpose. Bro Hinton spoke to them after dinner and then I shared the story of Esther and how she was sent “for such a time as this”. These girls are daughters of God and sent here for this day too. We gave them crowns to wear for the evening and then to take with them as a little reminder. I hope they know I am in their corner, and much more importantly that God is. 

Only a few girls came, but I was happy for each one that did. 

Grace. is back to school and back to seminary. She is driving and doing band and walking Kraytos and hanging out with friends. It’s a busy season. 

Last night Rob and I went to the temple (finally! Hallelujah!) it was closed for so long and I’m so glad it’s open again! 🀞🀞🀞 that it stays that way.


The 6th grade reading list goes well. Since school has started  I worked my way through:
Small Spaces, which I loved! It’s very M Night Shymalan creepy and will be the perfect October read out loud!
Crenshaw, 2 thumbs up.
Brown Girl Dreaming, good but not great. 
Spacecase, loved it! 
Out of my Mind, I liked it a lot but it was sad. 
And next on my list is Blended.

The next two weeks we are going to be focusing on expository writing. (Something to look forward to).
And with that a little English teacher humor for posterity. 

Lastly, the view from the office this morning. (Strawberry coconut refresher is yumm-o!)

No comments:

Post a Comment