Wednesday, September 22, 2021

First day of fall



 
Our front door with its new fall attire. I like orange and navy together.

Other than fall decor nothing is really different in Florida. Maybe they should sell Christmas and Halloween print swimsuits so people will feel more festive!

School has been good. Louise, the teacher in the portable next to mine, has been a lifesaver. She keeps me on track and we share ideas. She’s from England so she has a pretty accent. I usually try to go to the break room for lunch. It makes me feel better about my classroom struggles since we all seem to be in the same storm! My boat is not as well equipped as the veterans but I’m still rowing!

Some lessons and some class periods go really well. Today, 7th period, which is typically my hardest, did pretty well. Of course 2nd made up for it!

Tomorrow we have a test, no one is happy about that. Friday is small group day and the kids are working on their first multiple article essay. They read 3 different articles about how dogs think, which were interesting and most of the kids like dogs so there is that. Friday they are going to write an essay on them. We worked on thesis statements today. I’m curious how they will do.

Yesterday we learned about connotative language, which is fun. Rob and I went to Lowe’s and stole got paint sample cards, enough for each kid, and they wrote on the different colors words that expressed a similar idea with different shades of meaning. They liked that a lot. Hopefully they will remember what we talked about (hopefully tomorrow when they see it on the test)

Next week we start with the Jabberwocky, which I am looking forward to and in two weeks we are having our first book tasting and that will be fun. 

Yesterday we had a mental health lesson. It’s required. 5 hours of mental health training a year. In the high school mental health training led to a very busy guidance office. I don’t think the middle school saw too much of that. It was 5th period on a modified schedule so there was extra time. I have my planning period 5th so I was assigned to help the art teacher. She had over 50 students..which is way too many. I was jealous that her chairs weren’t broken though. I have a hand full of broken chairs and a bunch of graffitied desks and an AC that doesn’t keep anything cool. But I digress. So this was week one and most of the kids were not able to log on to the lesson. Technology problems are one of the biggest frustrations I have with teaching. That and kids who wear brand new shoes every other week but can’t buy a pencil to bring to class . Again with the digressing. 

Anyway after the online work we gave them a self care worksheet and they had to fill out what kinds of things they did for self care in different areas of their lives: physical, mental, spiritual, at school, with people they trust, and so on. We walked around and discussed and talked with the kids. We gave them ideas if they didn’t know what to put, or explained what different categories were. One boy, who is in my 3rd period class, wrote 3rd period ELA in his school bubble. When I saw I asked him why he put that there and he said it was his favorite class because I never yell and he likes me. It was super sweet & I felt good about that. Idk if the kids often tell teachers that they are their favorite but I have many students who do. I guess if all I accomplish is leaving them feeling like I like them that’s good(ish). If I can also teach them to write an essay and love to read that would be good too. 

Tonight for YW we made spiritual preserves in canning jars. Ann also brought all the full size candy bars we got to bribe encourage the girls to learn our new theme. 

Tonight I have a stomachache, which is no fun.  Other than that it was a good day. And just FYI I love being a grandma and can’t wait to meet our new little one in a few months!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment