Saturday, January 18, 2020

Day Date

Cleaning team 3 was assigned to clean the ward building this morning. No one was too excited to get up and get going but we went and the cleaning went quickly. None of us mind going, we are just a little lazy and like to sleep in on Saturday mornings.  When we got home I made pancakes and then we got ready to go.

The annual Highland Scottish Games Festival is this weekend.  I really wanted to go, when I told the family they were less excited.  My "everyone leaves the house every day" policy of child rearing has resulted in children who never want to leave the house? How is this a thing? They all love to be home and I have to force them out...unless it's to play ball (for Ethan), band (for Grace) or fishing (for Rob).  Just kidding about Rob, he likes to do more than fish.

So we left the kids home and Rob and I went on a day date.  It was a good day.  There were tons of people there and lots of cool things to see and do.  We watched the parade of Clans and then walked through the shops.  They had different activities to try.  When I saw axe throwing I thought I'd be really good at it.  While we were standing in line I was pretty excited, I thought I might even get more of my axes to stick to the target than Rob.  I was wrong.  I was really bad at it, and he got a couple axes in.  I might need private lessons.
We watched the pipe and drum competition and a rugby match and caber tossing.  There were high land sheep and shaggy cows and highland dance lessons and a dance competition. It was hot outside. They had haggis for sale, and fortunately tacos and popcorn and stuff.

After we were done seeing all we wanted to see we went to Cafe Rio.  Yummy. We haven't been in a while since it's about an hour away from our house.  It was only 10 minutes from the festival though so that was awesome.

Lastly we went to Bass Pro shop to look at boats.  We thought we might buy a pontoon boat, turns out it won't fit in our garage, so there you go.  No boat.  I was picturing Tatum and Penny, Marshall, Cora and Ruby wearing little life jackets and going out on the lake with Mimi and Grandpa and jumping off the back into the cool water laughing and swimming, hanging on to a tube while being pulled around past gators and fish and birds of prey.  I thought Grace and her friends would love to go out and teach Lincoln how to swim.  Rob could fish and I could nap in the hot summer sun.   But that life long  flash-in-the-pan dream faded as quickly as it came.  Next time the kids come visit we might just rent a boat for the day.  That'll be way less expensive and we won't have to clean the garage...so win-win.


No comments:

Post a Comment